httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: support program documentation
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:50:32 GMT

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Tony Finch wrote:

> Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> >
> >The question is how to do this without creating a bunch of duplicate,
> >difficult to maintain docs.  We could just use "man2html" to convert the
> >man pages, but this program creates horrible HTML, and would require
> >hand-tweaking of the output in any case.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi does a good job -- perhaps we could
> adapt it.
>
> >I don't think there is any way of avoiding the fact that future
> >changes will need to be made both to the man page and the html docs.
>
> I don't see why we can't just re-run the autogeneration of the html
> after changing the man page.

Awh, just screw it.  These scripts don't really do anything but
sprinkle a few "<b>"s around.  I don't think it is worth the
hassel of customizing one for Apache.  Here is an alternate
proposal:

1. nroff -man man-page.8 > man-page.txt
2. Remove the page breaks and other assorted crap from man-page.txt.
3. Wrap the darn thing in our basic HTML headers and footers
and a great big <pre></pre> block.

This will require some manual work when things change, but
not a great deal.

Any better ideas?

Joshua.