httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: httpd-docs-2.0 commit message
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:53:24 GMT
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> > Since the reorganization of CVS repository, httpd-docs-2.0
> > commitlogs are not mailed to apache-docs.
>
> Since commit messages are now coming from come user@apache.org instead of
> user@locus.apache.org, the anti-spam filters need to be told to accept
> that new address by a poster;

No, that is not the problem.  He is referring to the fact that the
apache-docs list is supposed to get copies of all commits to the
documentation, but since the apache-2.0/httpd-2.0 switch-over, this
has not been happening.

> Your patch is doing two things at once, though:
>
> a) changing instances of apache-2.0 to httpd-2.0 - the right thing to do,
> since I presume that people on the httpd-docs-2.0 CVS commit list want
> commits to those dirs so they can track changes worth documenting?
> Still, a "cvs watch" might be a better way to accomplish this, or
> subscribing to apache-cvs and using procmail, since having specific
> modules names inside of log_accum.pl is just Icky.  Anyways, patch
> implemented & committed, to at least perpetuate the ickyness correctly.

I agree this is icky, but my opinion is that it is very important that all
commits to the documentation get copied to the docs list.  I think that
making every subscriber do a bunch of complicated stuff to make that
happen raises the entry barrier too high for a group that was specifically
designed for easy access.

> b) You added the mapping "'httpd-2.0/docs' => 'httpd-docs-2.0');" - since
> this is a new thing, I didn't implement it, unless someone who completely
> understands the manipulation that Ken did with the modules file explains
> that this is the correct thing to do.  And it's yet more Ickyness.

And it won't work.  It will only catch commits in the httpd-2.0/docs
directory.  It won't catch commits in the subdirectories, where all the
content lies.

Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this?  Ken?

Joshua.