httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Language Negotiation: "No Acceptable Variant"
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:58:48 GMT

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Koen Holtman wrote:
> > Wait a minute: is the problem that these many people send, say
> >
> >  Accept-language: fr
> >
> > when they in fact speak en+fr and prefer en, or is the problem that their
> > browsers do not send any accept-language at all?
> >

> The problem is people who send
>   Accept-language: de
>        or
>   Accept-language: en-gb

ISPs will supply browsers configured to the language they expect their
users to speak.  So naturally languages like de and fr are widespread.
I guess the same argument goes for en-gb, though surely that at least
should be read as implying a lower preference generic-en?  Brits *can*
read merkin, even those of us who prefer english.

--
Nick Kew