httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: httpd-docs-2.0/manual/index.html.fr
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:38:14 GMT
From: "Tony Finch" <dot@dotat.at>
To: <apache-docs@apache.org>

> Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> wrote:
> >
> >First suggestion: attach them as something that is recognisably
> >text rather than application/octet-stream.  One simple way is
> >to just add ".txt" to th end of the file name..
>
> They were sensibly attached using the intended final filename, e.g.
> index.html.fr, but most mail clients don't get language suffixes.
> Using a filename of index.html would perhaps have been optimal.

This is why index.html.fr is wrong, period.

When we began, we should have begun using index.fr.html.  Yes, I know
the side effects, and if we must program around them, we should start.

It would be good to be able to specify index.fr, index.html.fr, or
index.fr.html and come up with the same page.  But the final suffix
should be the final word on the mime type, not the encoding.

Bill