httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject STATUS
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:20:35 GMT
Rich asked for a task....  I should probably post this on a regular
basis.  This lists what I know of that needs to be done,
but I'm sure there is lots more I haven't thought of.

There is also the XHTML issue.  If anyone wants to go ahead with
that, I would say you can go for it.  We still need to discuss
the exact format/implementation of the SSI stuff.

----

Apache HTTP Server 2.0 Documentation Status File.

If you are interested in helping accomplish some of the tasks on this
list or otherwise improving the documentation, please join the
apache-docs mailing list by mailing to
apache-docs-subscribe@apache.org

- MPM documentation
   - Each MPM needs to have a documentation file in manual/mod/
     which lists the directives it provides, and some details
     about its operation.
          filled in.
          - Non unix/windows MPMs still need to be completed.
          - perchild MPM needs some docs.

- Merging of changes in 1.3.
   - There have been many changes in the 1.3 docs which haven't
     been propagated into 2.0.
     Things which need to be merged:
         manual/howto/*

- Cleaning.
   - We could use a list of all the docs that can be axed out of 2.0
     because they are redundant or irrelevant.
	Some suggestions on files to axe.  Feel free to comment.
          manual/cgi-path.html (should be documented in mod_cgi.html instead)
          manual/process-model.html (documented in MPMs, eventually)
          platform/perf-* (are these relevant anymore?)

   - Individual docs will need some cleanup.
                 - invoking.html has had a first-pass cleaning done.
                 - misc/perf-tuning.html - needs major rewrite for 2.0
                 - misc/FAQ.html - some old questions could be remove
                                 - is a new format in order?
                 - misc/tutorials.html - mostly not relevant to 2.0
                 - misc/stopping.html
                 - dso.html
                 - misc/rewriteguide.html - needs cleaning in 1.3 and 2.0
                 - misc/known_client_problems.html - mostly ancient

- New build process.
   - The new build process is autoconf based, so manual/install.html
     will need to be completely rewritten.  Someone with enough
     patience could probably figure out most of the important stuff
     by trial and error.
                a starting place.  Rich <rbowen@rcbown.com> is interested
                in collaborating with someone else on this.

- Documentation of new features.
   - This will probably require more input from new-httpd, since
     not many people here follow the development process close
     enough to know what is going on.
                for this.
	        New features which need documentation:
                    - filters !!!

- Translations

- The STATUS Document.
   - Is this the best organization/format?  What else needs to be
     added?  Should this be auto-posted to apache-docs?