httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Converting docs to XHTML
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:49:16 GMT
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Guille -bisho- wrote:

> >There is a proposal outstanding on the apache-docs list to convert the
> >docs to XHTML.  The reasons for this are:
> [...]
>
> And why not go directly to XML???

I have no objection to that.  It may be a good idea.  However, it is not
something that should be done ad-hoc or in a hurry.  Certainly, the
version distributed with Apache and to the mirrors would need to be in
HTML, since we need something that can be read with the base webserver on
pretty much any browser.

For this to work, someone would need to invest a significant chunk of time
in developing the format, and making sure that tools were available
to convert it to other formats.

In any case, converting to XHTML is probably a good first step in
converting to more generic XML.

Joshua.