httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: HTML3.2 -> HTML4.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:02:08 GMT
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Chris Pepper wrote:

> At 4:32 PM -0800 2000/11/27, Joshua Slive wrote:
> >Does anyone object to a massive search & replace of all the doctypes
> >in httpd-docs-2.0 to put everything up to HTML4.0-Transitional?
> >This would be the precurser to modifying the header.html and footer.html
> >files to include the fancier header with hotlinks now used on the main doc
> >page.

> 	I'd rather use more-comprehensive headers that include the
> DOCTYPE. Ideally, everything up through the body tag and standard top
> elements would go in header.html and standard bottom elements would
> go in footer.html

I have no objection to that.  I assume you mean doing some fancy SSI
variable define, and then using that define to set the <title> and <h1>.
In order to do this, we would need two things:

1. An agreement on what the header.html should look like, and how
it would be called.

2. A volunteer to edit each file by hand to put this in.  My proposal
could have been implemented with a couple lines of perl.  This one
requires touching all the files, and I am not willing to do that myself.

Joshua.