httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Translations and MultiViews (was Re: htdocs/manual/index.html.ja.jis)
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 05:55:07 GMT
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Tony Finch wrote:

> Joshua Slive <slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> wrote:
> >
> >OK, this is cool, but now that we have our first start at a translation,
> >we need to think a little.  If I just drop this into manual/, nobody is
> >going to see it.  In order for MultiViews to come into effect, we would
> >need to rename the existing index.html to index.html.en, correct?
>
> I'm not sure this is necessary. It certainly isn't if you use a
> DefaultLanguage setting, but there isn't one in the default httpd.conf.

First, let me say that I am the furthest thing from an expert on content
negotiation that you could possibly imagine.

However, I think that this solution will not fix everything.  I just tried
it, and the effect is, if you change your language preferences to
favour japanese (ja) and request
1. http://garibaldi.commerce.ubc.ca:8080/ap13/htdocs/manual/index
you get the Japanese page.  However, if you request
2. http://garibaldi.commerce.ubc.ca:8080/ap13/htdocs/manual/index.html
you get the English page, and the same if you request
3. http://garibaldi.commerce.ubc.ca:8080/ap13/htdocs/manual/

The thing is, if you request index.html and Apache finds an exact match,
the content negotiation algorithms never enter the picture.  Apache just
serves the page.  Number 3 would probably be fixed if I change the
DirectoryIndex directive to just "index", but number 2. is the most common
and will not be fixed.

So, some possible solutions are:
1. As I mentioned above, change all the english filenames to include
the en extension, so that there will be no exact matches and content
negotiation using multiviews will get a chance.
2. Change all the links so we never reference any files with the "html"
extension.
3. Abandon Multiviews and use some mod_rewrite magic, or separate
directories, or type-maps, or ???? to separate out the languages.

Given my limited knowledge of the subject, I don't feel comfortable
recommending any of these.

Don't we have any multi-language website gurus out there????

Joshua.