httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: SSI tutorial
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:35:29 GMT
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I think that it is valuable to have them in different sections. I have a
> vague vision of having comprehensive beginner "how-to" documentation,
> along the lines of my ApacheToday articles. And, indeed, much of it will
> just be my articles reformatted. And this is all geared towards the
> beginner.

Sounds great.  For the time being, lets throw it in under "Using the
Apache HTTP Server", and then later on when we have more, we can create a
separate section.

> I've made the change. And I've put some of these links in. I realized
> that it would be helpful to know where the doc will reside in the tree
> in order to put in these other links, so I just put in some of those,
> and will add the rest once that location decision is finalized.  My
> recommendation is a "howto" or "tutorial" directory under the "manual"
> directory. Or, perhaps, at the same level as the "manual" directory.

I have no real preference here.  I've just been throwing stuff in the root
directory, but that is probably wrong.  I would prefer something a little
more generic than howto or tutorial, but whatever you decide is fine with
me.  (Putting it in the root directory is fine with me also.)

> I have no problems with this. But I will almost certainly maintain the
> POD in my own CVS tree, and just write a specialized pod2apachecdocs
> conversion so that I can continue to do my actual content generation in
> POD.

OK.  The only problem here is that, either all changes will need to be
filtered through you, or your version will get out of sync with the one in
the repository.  Given that you are contributing all this great content,
however, I think you can handle it any way you see fit.

> Anyways, here's the second draft.

Looks good.  I would prefer to see the "Related..." sections in the same
format as the ones in env.html and handlers.html, but that is up to you.

Joshua.