httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject MPM documentation
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:41:33 GMT
I just committed a first try at an MPM doc.  Feedback would be
appreciated.  I figured I would just commit it, rather than post it here
first, because
1. it touched a bunch of files so was difficult to review outside the
repository; and
2. the 2.0 docs are in such a sorry state that I figured I couldn't screw
things up too badly.

Now some comments/questions:

1. mpmt_pthread is a really crappy name for a module.

2. Is this format appropriate?  It is modeled as closely as possible on
the new format for other modules.

3. This is a real pain to do, because it is necessary to sift through the
source code to find what the directives are, what their default values
are, and what they actually do.  (The third part is the hardest, and I
haven't really done that yet.)  This module is particularly hard to
document because it has two entirely different modes: threaded and
non-threaded.  They have different behaviour, and different default values
for some of the directives.

4. I believe that there are going to be many different MPMs using the
same directive names.  Unless we can guarantee that all the MPMs will use
the directive in EXACTLY the same way, we will still need to document them
separately and make separate entires in directives.html.

5. I am prepared to drop mod/index-bytype.html from 2.0 since I think we
are making progress on task-oriented docs that make it irrelevant.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca