httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Projects for Apache 2.0
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:37:06 GMT
If anyone is lurking on the list and is looking for some projects,
here are some of the things that need to be done in httpd-docs-2.0.
I'm sure there are many more, this is just a quick list.
This is starting to become more important, as there are now
signs emerging of a 2.0 beta in the next month.

- MPM documentation
   - each MPM needs to have a documentation file in manual/mod/
     (or perhaps manual/mod/mpm)
     which lists the directives it provides, and some details
     about its operation.

- Merging of changes in 1.3.
   - There have been many changes in the 1.3 docs which haven't
     been propagated into 2.0.  For example, many of the "It Worked"
     translations have not made it.

- Reorganizing.
   - I think this is a good opportunity to think about directory
     structure.  I was thinking of having a "platform" directory
     for platform specific notes and a "FAQ" directory.  What
     others are needed?

- Cleaning.
   - We could use a list of all the docs that can be axed out of 2.0
     because they are redundant or irrelevant.
   - Individual docs will need some cleanup.  For example,
     manual/invoking.html could use a big cleanup with lots of the
     "this changed in 1.3.10" stuff removed.

- New build process.
   - The new build process is autoconf based, so manual/install.html
     will need to be completely rewritten.  Someone with enough
     patience could probably figure out most of the important stuff
     by trial and error.

- Documentation of new features.
   - This will probably require more input from new-httpd, since
     not many people here follow the development process close
     enough to know what is going on.

I wonder if we should have a doc like this committed to each
repository so that we can keep track of things that need
to be done (like the STATUS file in the source distribution).

Joshua.