httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: httpd.conf
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:41:21 GMT
On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Rich Bowen wrote:
> First, although the copious comments are wonderful for the beginner,
> they are excessive for someone moderately experienced. There needs to be
> an abridged version of the config file with minimal comments.

I have always thought that it was a mistake to comment that file in such
depth.  It is giving people too much of a feeling that they can just read
the config file and understand what is going on without consulting the
docs.  (Some directives may actually be documented better in httpd.conf
then they are in the real docs, but that should be fixed.)

So, one option is to pare that file back down to a reasonable level of
comments.  I have also spent time on my servers removing excess comments,
but the problem with providing more httpd.conf files is the confusion and
maintenance problems that will result.

Here's a "blue sky" idea: How about a directory called conf/sample/ that
contains a bunch of sample config files, including "fully commented",
"minimal comments", "high performance", "virtual hosts", etc.  There could
even be just sample excerpts.  (That's just an idea; I'm not sure
if I like it or not.)

> Second, the file is arranged a little randomly, and could stand to be
> arranged in a somewhat more coherent manner. (Although I've had a number
> of people mention this to me, none of them have suggested a better
> arrangement.)

I can't really argue with you on this.  To some degree, it would be nice
to put stuff like the AddLanguage, etc directives off in a separately
"Include"d file, but I think this would just lead to more confusion.

Joshua.