httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: httpd.conf
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:27:53 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Rich Bowen wrote:
> >
> > First, although the copious comments are wonderful for the beginner,
> > they are excessive for someone moderately experienced. There needs
> > to be an abridged version of the config file with minimal comments.
> >
> > Second, the file is arranged a little randomly, and could stand to be
> > arranged in a somewhat more coherent manner.
>
> This one I'll dispute a bit.  I and others invested a considerable
> amount of time arranging the file to reduce randomness.  It's possible
> that it can be improved still more, but it is *not* random as it
> stands.

No offense intended. It's just a complaint that I've heard. Perhaps a
TOC would be useful to disperse the perception of randomness.
Personally, having worked with the file for a few years, I have a pretty
good idea of where everything is, and it seems to make sense to me.

> Next point: futzing with the httpd.conf file is straying rather a
> bit from the 'documentation' aspect of this project.  Before
> going down this path too far, I recommend involving the new-httpd
> development list in the discussion.

Ah. Good point. If I ever get around to having time to actually work on
this, I'll make sure to mention it there.

:wq
Author: Apache Server Unleashed - www.apacheunleashed.com
Director of Web Application Development - http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/