httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto cgi.html
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:09:50 GMT
slive@locus.apache.org wrote:
>   Rich, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes with these changes.  Please
>   let me know if you object to anything here, and I'll be happy to back
>   it out.

The only one that I'm not particularly fond of is ...

  - Change "CGI Program" to "CGI Script" in most locations.  This is
  less accurate overall, but is the canonical way of saying it in the
  Apache documentation.  I hated making this change, and could be easily
  convinced to change it back.

I've never liked the term 'Script.' It has hack-ish connotations, as of
something that is thrown together and is not a "real program." I suppose
that there is a real and understood definition of a 'shell script', and
that, for certain definitions, Perl "scripts" fit that definition.
However, we're also talking about compiled C programs, as well as Pascal
programs, Visual Basic apps, and so on.

I'd be more inclined to change it the other direction in the rest of the
docs, rather than changing it here because it's wrong elsewhere. Just my
$0.02, though, and I suppose we should see what other folks think about
it.

Apart from this, I liked your changes. Thanks.

Rich
Author: Apache Server Unleashed - www.apacheunleashed.com
Director of Web Application Development - http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/