httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: CGI tutorial
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:12:38 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
<Some great comments ...>

Thanks for your useful input. I've implemented it all except #5 and #7:

> 5. A mention of suexec, perhaps under the "File permissions" section would
> be appropriate.  This is especially important because Redhat ships with
> suexec enabled, but with permissions that cause scripts to fail in user
> directories.  They need to look in the suexec log file for more details.
>
> 7. It might be good to divide the "It still doesn't work" section into
> three sub-sections based on what they will see in the browser:
> "Forbidden", the source code of the cgi script, and "Internal Server
> Error".  The first two can be very short ("Your permissions are wrong,
> check the error log for more details", and "You have not properly
> configured for cgi execution, see the above section".)  The third one
> is almost always "Premature end of script headers", which you
> discuss further.

5 because, frankly, I've never used suexec, and although I suppose I
could read the docs and figure out the right thing to say to a beginner,
I thought that someone else might be more up to the job.

7 because I'm not sure I'm following what you think needs to be done.

I'll go ahead and commit it as I have it here, and folks can hack on it
as needed.

Rich
Author: Apache Server Unleashed - www.apacheunleashed.com
Director of Web Application Development - http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/