httpd-docs mailing list archives

From James A Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: HTML3.2 -> HTML4.0
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:26:47 GMT
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> James A Sutherland wrote:
> >
> > Except the current contents of header.html aren't the header we
> > want, or structured in the way needed. Changing the contents of
> > header.html would break every page in docs ATM; putting the new
> > header in a new file allows for a gradual changeover.
>
> By the way, I'm +1 on this approach.

Great - now we just need to find someone to do it :-)

Personally, I'd rather go for XHTML1, unless there are any pressing reasons not
to; apart from lower-casing the tags, the changes needed are fairly trivial. I
looked at this briefly a few months ago, and apart from the changes in single
tags (<br> etc), everything the Validator complained about consisted of genuine
errors - wrongly escaped special characters etc.

Does anyone have any objections to XHTML1 over HTML4? The extra effort is
minimal, and won't break anything, but it does show up some other errors which
need fixing.

James.