httpd-docs mailing list archives

From James A Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: HTML3.2 -> HTML4.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:33:53 GMT
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Chris Pepper wrote:
> At 4:32 PM -0800 2000/11/27, Joshua Slive wrote:
> >Does anyone object to a massive search & replace of all the doctypes
> >in httpd-docs-2.0 to put everything up to HTML4.0-Transitional?
> >This would be the precurser to modifying the header.html and footer.html
> >files to include the fancier header with hotlinks now used on the main doc
> >page.
>
> Joshua,
>
> 	I'd rather use more-comprehensive headers that include the
> DOCTYPE. Ideally, everything up through the body tag and standard top
> elements would go in header.html and standard bottom elements would
> go in footer.html

I like that idea. If you set an SSI variable for the page title, you should be
able to put everything right down to the first <h1> tag in the header.shtml, I
think?

The other question, though: is all the HTML 4.0 compliant? If so, is it XHTML1
compliant as well? Perhaps a second variable, HTMLVER, to indicate which
DOCTYPE to use?

James.