httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@mail.reppep.com>
Subject Re: main doc page: REALLY last call
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:20:48 GMT
At 10:47 AM -0800 2000/10/31, Joshua Slive wrote:
>  > >Update at
>  > >http://garibaldi.commerce.ubc.ca:8080/ap13/htdocs/manual/
>>
>>	I'd take out both of the thinner/narrower <hr>s, but they're
>>  okay as is. Looks nice, although personally I'd prefer 3 columns with
>  > <small>.

>Here are my arguments against the <small> 3 column layout:
>
>- I don't see a good reason to override the font that people have chosen
>for their web browser.  I know, most sites do it, but as a philisophical
>issue, we should be leaving as much of the presentation as possible in the
>hands of the client.
>
>- All the other docs are in the standard font, so it would be strange to
>have the main page in a smaller font.

	It's a table of contents, though, and indexes in books, and
ToCs on the web, are often smaller because they're so dense. I don't
like maintext in <small>, but think it's justified for non-maintext
when you have too much information to present. Right now there's
significant scrolling (both axes) in the small window/large font MS
defaults to (and which I haven't yet changed).

>- Scattering tons of <small>s around makes the markup uglier.

	True. Better with styles, but I haven't switched my stuff over yet.

>- The three column layout seemed too busy visually.  I think it was harder
>to find the relevant infromation with a quick scan in that layout.

	This is obviously a matter of taste. I find scanning the
headlines scattered across the page preferable to scrolling for more
headlines (which may or may not be present).

						Chris

--
Chris Pepper | Shooting Gallery Interactive | 212 905-2200
Mac OS X Software: <http://www.mosxsw.com/>