httpd-docs mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: About translation of apache docs
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:22:46 GMT
On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Yu Wang wrote:

> I just found that according to Netscraft's survey, Apache lost to IIS in some
> countries, like South American, China and Denmark. I guess it is because of
> the language barrier while IIS provides localized versions for these non
> English-speaking users. In fact, even the Japanese translation of Apache
> manuals is incomplete.
>
> Additionally, I think if the documentation tranlation is not integrated part
> of Apache distribution, those non English speaking users may fail to upgrade
> Apache timely if the newer versions include some security fixes.  Maybe we
> need the investment from some commercial companies if it is a profitable
> business? Just some wild thoughts.

Localisation is definitely an issue that should be tackled. One problem,
of course, will be keeping the docs all synchronised, making sure changes
propogate properly...

Having multiple front pages for the default install site is a good start -
if we could just copy that for the rest of the manual, we'd be a lot
better off.

James.