httpd-docs mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: httpd-docs-1.3 patch
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:22:04 GMT
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
>
> > Here's a simple patch which makes the default front page (English
> > language) and the documentation index validate correctly. Nothing major,
> > just lower-casing the tags and updating doctype.
>
> Hmmm... I'm not sure that I understand the point.  Most of the
> HTML included with Apache validates just fine as HTML 3.2.
> Given that we don't use any XHTML features, why does it matter
> that we don't validate as XHTML?

It doesn't have to be XHTML, but if we can validate cleanly as XHTML, why
not?

> Maybe someone might want to take a big stick like htmltidy
> to the 2.0 docs and convert them all to XHTML, but I'm not
> sure I see the point in doing this for the 1.3 docs.  Can you clarify what
> this gains us?

It doesn't add any wonderful new features, admittedly - I started out just
making sure the pages would validate properly as something. Since simply
lower-casing the tags made them valid XHTML, why not set the doctypes
accordingly?

James.