httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yu Wang <yw...@cse.ucsc.edu>
Subject Re: About translation of apache docs
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:15:57 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Yu Wang wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I want to find out how many translation projects of Apache docs are
> > ongoing, but fail to find such information from Apache's website. As far
> > as I know, there is some tranlation work in Apache Japanese User Group
> > (www.apache.or.jp). Could anyone offer me some further information?
> > Thank you.
> >

> As Tony mentioned on the newsgroup, you found the right place.  However,
> I don't know of anyone actively involved in doing this at the moment.
> If you want to start, this is the place to discuss it.

I just found that according to Netscraft's survey, Apache lost to IIS in some
countries, like South American, China and Denmark. I guess it is because of
the language barrier while IIS provides localized versions for these non
English-speaking users. In fact, even the Japanese translation of Apache
manuals is incomplete.

Additionally, I think if the documentation tranlation is not integrated part
of Apache distribution, those non English speaking users may fail to upgrade
Apache timely if the newer versions include some security fixes.  Maybe we
need the investment from some commercial companies if it is a profitable
business? Just some wild thoughts.

Yu