httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: env.html and a template for future docs
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:45:07 GMT
Joshua Slive <slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> wrote:

>> Another suggestion: mention mod_rewrite's list of "environment"
>> variables. (mod_rewrite's environment handling is very strange.)
>
>Yah, I know.  I don't particularly understand it, so I sort of punted on
>the documentation.  I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

mod_include does its environment stuff thus:

	variables are added to the environment table by caling
	ap_add_cgi_vars() and add_include_vars() for the standard
	and module-specific variables respectively.

	variables are looked up by pulling them from the environment
	table r->subprocess_env.

mod_rewrite does it thus:

	variables are not added to an environment table.

	they are looked up by some special purpose code that matches
	the variables known by mod_rewrite, and falls back to looking
	in the environment table.

The former is the right way; the latter is gross. However mod_rewrite
gains some performance by its approach.

Fortunately everything you need to know about mod_rewrite's handling
of environment variables is contained in its lookup_variable function
which also happens to be easy to read.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch