httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Update of FAQ entry on mime type detection in browsers
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2000 19:47:44 GMT
Sure.  The way I had it written initially was wrong, however, because I
was saying that IE's behaviour was wrong BOTH in the text/plain and
application/octet-stream case.  I now believe (correct me if I am wrong)
that IE is correct to try to guess content type in the
application/octet-stream case.  However, you are right that doing so for
text/plain is plain wrong.  I started to write up the FAQ entry explaining
the difference between the two cases, then I figured I would just be
confusing people, so I shortened it down to what I submitted.

I've attached a new patch which makes it a little more clear that IE is
incorrect in its behavior towards text/plain.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca