httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Web server docs proposal (take n)
Date Tue, 30 May 2000 20:58:47 GMT
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > o Why separate modules rather than finding a way to let these
> >   docco-only people work only in the htdocs/ subtree?  Because of
> >   the mailing list issue, because this is how we've historically
> >   managed disjoint committer lists, because this is how other
> >   ASF projects seem to be handling subprojects, and because this
> >   doesn't require futzing with the CVS scripts that affect *all*
> >   of the ASF projects.
>
> Your use of the word "module" is very confusing.  A "module", as

He means /home/cvs/httpd-docs-1.3/ and /home/cvs/httpd-docs-2.0/

> defined by CVS, is either an entry in the modules file or a particular
> path to the root of a tree of files.  So the docs are already their
> own module.  And you can add an entry to the modules file just fine
> so you can do a "cvs checkout httpd-docs-1.3" and get apache-1.3/htdocs.
> So there is no change required to put the docs in their own module.
> They are there.
>
> There is nothing required to allow other people to commit to only the
> htdocs subdirectory other than adding them all to a group and chgrping
> that subdirectory.
>
> The mailing list issues aren't too had to handle, especially if you
> subscribe to the idea that if docs and code change in one commit, then
> they should be mailed together because they are related.  Then you just
> need a tiny little filter getting mail to the main CVS commit list and
> forwarding anything that includes docs changes to the random other docs
> only list.

Ken is operating from a known standpoint: create new top-level modules.
All this mucking around could create problems within the repository. For
example, consider the case where an "httpd" cvs user commits to
apache-1.3/htdocs/ and it changes the group setting. Oops! Now the docs
people cannot change that.
(dunno if FreeBSD has a "sticky group" bit like Linux)

-1 on trying to create new operational modes like Marc suggests. I've
previously stated +1 on Ken's approach.

> Are you certain that commits that commit to both top level directories at
> once will be mailed out properly anyway?

Nobody does that today, so it is not a requirement for tomorrow. If it
works, then great. Otherwise, it just doesn't matter.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/