httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Docco update messages
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:53:47 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> I don't think that it is proper to decide "hey, we should change this
> about development" and propose it on a list with only a small subset
> of developers on it.

Um, just *what* are you talking about?  The doc extraction was
discussed on new-httpd and apache-core; this message to apache-docs
was to bring people interested in the docs project, but who *aren't*
developers, into the picture.

> I don't think it is a good idea to have cvs updates going to a
> discussion list (after all, they don't go to new-httpd...),

That's why I asked the question.

> and I don't think that it is a good idea to have them going where
> most developers don't see them.

If the developers care about the documentation, they can subscribe
to the list where the docco stuff goes.

> Development and docs currently go hand in hand in a lot of areas.
> That is the way it is because right now there simply aren't people
> dedicated to looking at what code is written and then fixing the
> docs as appropriate.  While it is fine to have people doing more
> stuff on the docs as they can, it shouldn't give developers the
> idea that their responsibilities are lessened in any way.  It
> has always been a general rule of thumb that if you commit
> something that makes a smallish change to how something works,
> you change the related docs.

So exactly what are you saying?  That EVERYONE, doc worker or
developer, should be on new-httpd?  And that docco CVS messages
should go to.. where?

> The problem is that I haven't seen any proposal for or agreement of
> exactly what you intend to change, just bits and pieces of it dropped
> here and there.  It seems that before anyone can agree to anything,
> they have to know what it is...

I don't think you're reading your mail.  I have proposed the exact
steps twice on new-httpd (where the discussion belongs as long
as the documentation is part of the code).  And there have been
a bunch of people that have agreed to those steps, so it's hardly
fair to make that last statement.

> Before you change anything, can you please send out a message saying
> exactly what you want to change and give people a chance to read it
> and respond before you do anything?

I did that, but I'll do it again.  When I mentioned it earlier
this week I said I wanted to get this done before the next
2.0 alpha.
--
#ken    P-)}