httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Jim Winstead <j...@trainedmonkey.com>
Subject Re: Docco update messages
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:42:34 GMT
On Apr 21, Marc Slemko wrote:
> I'm saying that the whole "docs tree is completely separate and
> disjoint from the code" argument that you are trying to make is
> bogus and is very bad for the project and for the docs themself.

Not that I really want to step in the middle of this, but I do want
to point out that the PHP project has had great success with an
independent documentation project along the lines of what Ken is
proposing. There is a fairly significant number of people who are
focused on just making the docs better, and translating them into
other languages. (I believe there's translations into German,
Japanese, and Italian underway. I'm not sure about the last, and
there may also be others.)

I do also see tremendous value in commits to the documentation and
the code trees going to the same list, which should be seperate
from the discussion lists. I think it would help keep both groups
(assuming they aren't completely overlapping sets of people) in
communication. (Not that I'm suggesting it replace real communcation,
or that the developers of code should be absolved of any responsibility
for writing documentation.)

Jim