httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "sehh of H.I.C. & D.B.S." <s...@altered.com>
Subject Re: Strawman XML
Date Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:44:46 GMT
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:17:44 +0200 (CEST), Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>I'd like to hear some noice from people writing configurators, just to see
>where they are heading.. and from people thinking of improving the doc's,
>having multiple language variants, etc.

I am the author of ServerConfig/2, GUI config util for OS/2. What i was looking for, was
a 'version' of the Apache documentation which could be compiled under the OS/2 help file
format. Which ofcourse i did my converting HTML into that format (.IPF). Although its not
a perfect copy of the HTML code, it gives me the base to modify it any way i want.

This is not much use to most of you since you don't use OS/2, but i just wanted to say that
a platform/os-independend documentation would be the best option for everyone.

Another important issue is portability, HTML is a good choice since it can be converted into
many other formats, like online Help facilities, unlike PDF which needs a PDF viewer and can't
be called within a program as online help.

XML is a good choice, but you have to consider that the Apache documentation must also exist
online in Apache's website, and HTML is a more suitable format since it can be browsed by
older browsers.

 H.I.C. & D.B.S.  OS/2 Warp  Hellas
 ServerConfig  InfoHICmag  OS/2 UK UG

 Windows - The Gates of hell.