httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Strawman XML
Date Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:04:24 GMT

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> > Does anyone see great error or fundamental wrongs with the attached
> > strawman ?
>
> I suggest the following:
>
> :1,$ s/ LANG=/ xml:lang=/g
>
>    the reference being
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-lang-tag

Wow! Details! :-) Actually I had not quite reached this state... yet. Nor
thought how to deal with actual HTML markup inside human readable
sections.. or make it parsable..

It is more that I am wondering how to roughly go about this; in the
perfect world I'd like the usual things

	1.	the XML to be close to the C code of the modules,
		auto extracting, whatever. Perhaps even -generate-
		C code based on it. Almost let it act like an interface
		description

	2.	it easy to make HTML of various flavours for the
		document tree. Hence allow for a fair amounth
		of making it look nice.

	3.	Easy(er) to cope with multiple language's without
		to much managment mess of paralellel publishing

	4.	Easy to re-use in the various configurators people
		are now making in Tk and Gnome. Or easy for validators
		or other clever things.. such as allowing mod_info.
		to display things even nicer..

And all of this of course happily at odds with the most important
RQ of all

	5.	Easy for anyone to understand and to edit, contribute,
		and add to when needed.

>   Basically there is a bit of cleanup needed before it gets accepted by
> a XML parser. Maybe half an hour more of work :-)

That is for sure; and not quite the aim jet. Though I am really surprized
how 'little' there is to change. Thanks for trying this !

> I would also swap all these uppercases to lowercase, but it's rather a
> personal taste :-)

Mine as well, but the apache doc's currently are almost all in caps.

Dw

PS: If this discussion gets any volume I suggest limiting it to the
    docs- and gui- lists. But for now new-httpd should be reasonable.