httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.
Date Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:30:18 GMT

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >
> > I have finished translating The Apache documentation: Reading Client
> > Input in Apache 1.2
> > into Chinese. Would I upload the file to Apache website? thanks.
>
> There are a number of ways of doing this..
>
> 1. Copy the translated files to the apache.org site, and name them
>    with the appropriate language extension.  (What *is* the ISO
>    country code for this translation?)

	.zh

I'd guess :-)))

> 2. Note on the main Apache site that some of the docs have been
>    translated, and link to their current location.
> 3. Set up a directory tree on some server explicitly for this
>    translation, and copy the files there as they're made ready.
>    Point to this location from the main Apache site.
> 4. Set up a tree on some server containing nothing *but*
>    translated versions, and point to it from the main Apache
>    site.
>
> #1 is probably not particularly good because the site is mirrored
> in dozens of places, and many of the mirrors may not have multiviews
> and negociation enabled.

> #2 is uncomfortable to me because the current location of the
> document is full of cookies and popups.
>
> #3 or #4 would probably be best; I'd actually prefer #4 because it
> would provide for multiple concurrent translation efforts.  I'll
> volunteer server space for that.

> This is certainly not an exhaustive list!  Any thoughts?

I'd hate #4; it is such a valuable thing to have translations; even
if they are not a 100% up to date or complete; I'd really prefer
them to live on the main apache.org and be close to either the
mainstream CVS maintenance wise, or to a doc's specific section.

I'd guess #1 is still cool, especially if there are a few links
to the full name; with the .zh. (or .fr whatever).

Dw.