httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Kevin Lo <kevi...@linpus.com.tw>
Subject Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.
Date Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:39:51 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >
> > I have discussed the translation documentation with this mailing list.
> > Unfortunately, no one take the further actions :(
> > Ken, would you like to say something, thanks.
>
> Sure, I can almost always be counted upon to say something. :-)
>
> As I pointed out earlier, I like option #4 for translated
> documentation.  (That was having a mirror of the docs tree
> structure on another system than www.apache.org, with link to
> it from there and negociation enabled.)  I've got the server
> for it; I just need to set up the tree.
>
> It would be nicest if it could actually live on the Apache
> site itself in the main Apache docco tree.  Unfortunately, for
> that to work, MultiViews and negociation would need to be
> set up properly (including the appropriate AddLanguage directives,
> et cetera) not only on www.apache.org, but on all of the dozens
> of mirror systems as well.  That seems quite unlikely to happen,
> which is why I currently favour an alternate system for
> the translations.
>
> I think a little process will be necessary if we pursue this.
> For instance, translated files ought to include a 'translated
> at <date>' line at the top, since they're certain to fall out
> of synch.

Agreed. I have added in my doc :-)

> And the master docco should be mirrored into the
> tree with ".en" suffixes added.  With a little work (well, maybe
> more than a little), and a contact point identified for each
> translation, I could see auto-notification of changes being
> mailed out to translators.  I.e., if the English master of
> the document Kevin translated gets updated, a message containing
> the diff could be sent to Kevin so he'd know to check to see
> if he needed to update his version.

As my experience, ( I'm a FreeBSD committer, and I maintain the
FreeBSD FAQ), if I update the CVS tree, the system send all committers
an email automatically that notifies I updated some files.
I guess this is what you want, right?

--
- Kevin Lo             - kevinlo@linpus.com.tw
- Linpus Technologies  - http://www.linpus.com.tw