httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Kevin Lo <kevi...@linpus.com.tw>
Subject Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.
Date Tue, 03 Aug 1999 01:46:10 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Kevin Lo wrote:
> > >
> > > I have finished translating The Apache documentation: Reading Client
> > > Input in Apache 1.2
> > > into Chinese. Would I upload the file to Apache website? thanks.
> >
> > There are a number of ways of doing this..
> >
> > 1. Copy the translated files to the apache.org site, and name them
> >    with the appropriate language extension.  (What *is* the ISO
> >    country code for this translation?)
>
>         .zh
>
> I'd guess :-)))

Hmm, I think it should be .zh__TW.Big5

> > 2. Note on the main Apache site that some of the docs have been
> >    translated, and link to their current location.
> > 3. Set up a directory tree on some server explicitly for this
> >    translation, and copy the files there as they're made ready.
> >    Point to this location from the main Apache site.
> > 4. Set up a tree on some server containing nothing *but*
> >    translated versions, and point to it from the main Apache
> >    site.
> >
> > #1 is probably not particularly good because the site is mirrored
> > in dozens of places, and many of the mirrors may not have multiviews
> > and negociation enabled.
>
> > #2 is uncomfortable to me because the current location of the
> > document is full of cookies and popups.
> >
> > #3 or #4 would probably be best; I'd actually prefer #4 because it
> > would provide for multiple concurrent translation efforts.  I'll
> > volunteer server space for that.
>
> > This is certainly not an exhaustive list!  Any thoughts?
>
> I'd hate #4; it is such a valuable thing to have translations; even
> if they are not a 100% up to date or complete; I'd really prefer
> them to live on the main apache.org and be close to either the
> mainstream CVS maintenance wise, or to a doc's specific section.

Actually, I have suggested Ken Coar about #1, like FDP
(FreeBSD Documentation Project), which using CVS to maintain doc.
Anyway, #1 and #4 are good ideas, I think.

--
Kevin Lo                        | Linpus Technologies Inc.
kevinlo@linpus.com.tw           | http://www.linpus.com.tw