httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Bill Jones, FCCJ Webmaster" <webmas...@fccj.org>
Subject Re: Need help adding symlink-like capability to Apache on NT
Date Tue, 05 Jan 1999 19:35:05 GMT
Bret McMillan wrote:

> You have a valid concern...  let me explain a bit more.  Right now,
> shortcuts are used in place of symlinks.
> If you had a "foo" symlink on the linux version, on the nt version it is
> represented by "foo.lnk".  These shortcut files are created at install time.
>
> Assume foo.lnk exists in your httpdoc directory.  Assume foo.lnk links to
> C:\Bret\, in which HelloWord.html exists.
>
> What I want to happen is for a url request of
> "http://www.server.com/foo/HelloWorld.html" displays the contents of
> HelloWorld.html.
>
> We have an executable program that will do this:
>
> Commandline:  "slink foo/HelloWorld.html"
> Cout's:  "/bret/HelloWorld.html"
>
> So that part is essentially done.  What we're trying to figure out is where
> to integrate that into apache's code.
>
> Thanks for any and all info,
>
> Bret

Dean, in another reply, has a valid point with mod_rewrite; however,
my question would be -

Did it work right under Linux with the soft links?

Allowing soft (or hard) links outside of DocRoot is not
a good idea, at any rate. I know that Apache's cgi
functionality doesn't follow links when they are
cgi-centric, not sure about NT.

Apache is a great WWW server, but modifying the core
distribution, especially in NT, isn't a good idea.

Anyways, if I remember correctly, all you need to do
is turn on WWW-centric shares for the content you
wish to share.  I have never gotten Apache to
follow a link on NT.  But, I do use Unix servers
more, so there may be another way...

HTH,