httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michele Petrovsky <petro...@voicenet.com>
Subject RE: Case Studies
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 14:26:01 GMT
At 11:07 AM 12/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Michele Petrovsky wrote:
>
>> This is where questions as to structure, presentation,
>> audience etc. start to crop up.  Once there's a good
>> general in-English tutorial of the type you've described,
>> a case could be made that the existing docs are sufficient
>> for all other needs (e.g., sysadmins, programmers).
>> So, should apache-docs concentrate solely on:
>>
>> 	* producing a tutorial
>> 	* broadening/facilitating access to the
>> 	  existing docs (e.g., a document "portal"
>> 	  as has been suggested; creating numerous
>> 	  format versions such as PDF, SGML)
>>
>> or do we need other levels/types of documentation?
>> And if the latter, what?
>
>I'd love to see how-to type documents answering to very practical problems
>like user wants to use SSI how do I enable it or I don't want all people
>to see my private pages how do I stop them.
>Those are for buzy (and maybe lazy) part time admins, like me. But
>tutorials would be great also covering things more in depth and paving
>path to "conventional" apache documentation use.

I find this example particularly interesting because
it's pretty much a word-for-word description of what
the sysadmin at the college where I teach is working on
right now.  Fine-tuning of various sorts might make
for a very useful category of howto docs.  So here's
a question:  what other specific types of howtos might
we include in such a category?