httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michele Petrovsky <>
Subject RE: Case Studies
Date Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:47:48 GMT
At 11:24 AM 12/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Excellent point indeed.  I had just installed Apache 1.3 on a secondary web
>server a little over a week ago and found it very easy to install, and seems
>very flexible.  One of the reasons I contacted Michelle about participating
>in her project last week after reading her post to this mailing list, was
>because I was a little disappointed about the availability of non-commercial
>documentation available for Apache.  To you all who are familiar with it, it
>may seem adequate, but to a system administrator who's only worked with MS
>applications, it is no where near adequate.  As we all know, MS does things
>a bit differently than the rest of the world, and it was a bit of a culture
>shock for me.

This is always my first concern; it's even a little bit
of a crusade for me.  Any effort to broaden the acceptance
and use of Open Source Software (like Apache, Linux, WINE)
must, I feel, address the MS world.

>Still, I adopted Apache into my network because I wanted to broaden my
>knowledge, and I had always heard that Apache was an excellent web platform.
>I had less trouble installing and running Apache, than I did with IIS4!

Me too, and it's good to know that someone with
a strong MS backgrouynd (as opposed to somebody like me
who's sort of a Unix/MS hybrid) has had these kinds of headaches.

>Maybe trouble isn't the appropriate word, but it took less effort certainly
>to run Apache initially.
>I'm looking forward to working with Michelle on her project, and hope to
>learn much from you all.  I have plans to install more Apache servers on NT4
>systems, and have may install it on our Solaris servers as well.

Way cool; the scope/foundation not only of case
studies but even of tutorials would be that much
more solid and valid if we can include as many OS
environments as possible.

View raw message