httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <c...@Apache.Org>
Subject Re: Does the apache user manual exists in printable format?
Date Wed, 02 Sep 1998 20:12:37 GMT
Robin Langford wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Which printable format is better for most users?  PS or PDF?  Or is it
> acceptable to print HTML sections from a browser?  I'm trying to choose an
> appropriate format  for the IBM documentation that supports the Apache server.

PostScript(r) is nasty because it's not always portable from
printer to printer.  But it compresses nicely with gzip. :-)

PDF is a pain if there isn't an Acrobat reader available for
your platform, or if you don't have access to a GUI of some
sort.

The main problem I see with HTML is that it's difficult to
specify page-breaks and section numbers, and it's difficult
to print a set of related pages (also a problem with the
other formats unless care is taken).  The paging issue is
addressed (at least somewhat IIRC) by HTML/4.0.

Personally, I prefer HTML because it can be read on almost
any display device and printed therefrom with a minimum of
difficulty.

#ken    P-)}