httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Brian Slesinsky <bsles...@wired.com>
Subject Re: List maintenance item
Date Thu, 07 Aug 1997 21:53:59 GMT

> NOTE:	Some people may argue that HTML is not a best format and I
> agree, so personally I do not care about the format per se, except that
> the only requirement is that there are tools to convert that format to
> HTML.

We'll probably need to tweak the design of the HTML pages and I think it
would be a good idea to be able to do that without changing hundreds of
source files.  That is:

source + templates => HTML
                   => Windows docs
                   => Postscript => PDF
                                 => paper

"source" could be HTML.  However, even if it is, the source HTML won't
look much like the output HTML.  The source should be well supported by
tools that convert it to whatever we want and easy to revise, while the
output HTML might have Netscape tags, tables used for layout, or other
impure stuff that makes it look good in a browser but isn't easy to
edit or convert to another format.

Anyway it looks like some people have gotten further along than us using
SGML as the source, so I'd like to read what they've done before
commenting further.

__Brian__