httpd-docs mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: SDF now ready for ADP (I hope)
Date Sun, 31 Aug 1997 19:16:14 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970831225844.4155A-100000@orb.mincom.oz.au> you wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> [snip]
> > feedback about ADP this weekend. Perhaps on sunday... But I can at least say
> > that the current SDF worked fine with the example page, but I really want to
> > try the complete handbook skeleton to give the people a real world chance to
> > decide SGMLTools vs. SDF. But for this I had to convert the complete currently
> > available handbook skeleton (not much to do, but costs time ;_) to SDF.
> >
> > Or is someone else willing to convert the current handbook .sgml files as
> > found on http://www.apache.org/~rse/... to SDF format?

> I'm happy to help, just let me know which bits.
> How long do you expect it to take?

Oh, yes, you _CAN_ help. As you know to make a real voting "SGMLTools vs. SDF"
we need two real-world document examples to compare. This example is the
skeleton handbook as found on the above URL. The pages there were created with
a few .sgml files as input and SGMLTools 0.99.x plus two wrapper scripts as
the transformation tool. Now we need the same skeleton handbook as .sdf files
and the target formats as SDF will produce them. Then we can do a voting where
every one 1. looks at the source (.sgml and .sdf) and votes for the input
language and 2. looks at the target formats and votes for the  look&feel of
those. These two points (input language and optical and practical result)
together  should leads to a decision. Then we can begin to actually start ADP.

So, it would be a great help if you can create .sdf pages which contain the
same stuff as the current .sgml files and then try to generate good output
formats with SDF. At least as good as the ones from SGMLTools or even better
;_)

Do you have time for this? I don't think it is very time consuming, perhaps 4
hours, but one has to do it...

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com