httpd-docs mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: SDF now ready for ADP (I hope)
Date Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:18:10 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970819174724.4293A-100000@orb.mincom.oz.au> you wrote:

> I've finally had a chance to debug SDF's SGML output driver,
> so the latest version of SDF should now be ready for
> evaluation/use on the Apache Documentation Project.
> You can fetch it from ftp://ftp.mincom.com/pub/mtr/sdf/.

Fine. Because yesterday I've fetched the sdf-2.000b11a.tar.gz and there I'd
some problems when trying to test-drive your example test page posted
recently. For instance the LaTeX output actually was plain ASCII. And the
PRE_HEADER/PRE_FOOTER stuff was not working. I've now fetched
sdf-2.000b11b.tar.gz and will try again with this one.

> The new things in this release are:

> 1. SGML output now works
> 2. HTML_PRE_HEADER/HTML_POST_FOOTER variables are provided for
>    tuning the HTML layout
> 3. Headings in HTML and plain text formats are numbered.

Good.

> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test SDF -> SGML -> LaTeX
> as the installation of sgml-tools 0.99.14 at my site isn't
> perfect. In particular, if I type:

>   sdf -2sgml test.sdf
>   sgml2latex test.sgml

> then the sgml2latex bit fails silently. :-( Perhaps, it because
> we don't have LaTeX/TeX installed?

No LaTeX itself should not be needed to generate LaTeX, it is only needed when
compiling the LaTeX source to DVI. Hmmm... seems like you have other local
problems.

> However, most other things in sgml-tools work for me, i.e.
> sgmlcheck, sgml2html, sgml2txt, sgml2rtf, sgml2info and sgml2lyx.
> As such, I'm pretty confident that the SGML I'm generating is ok.

Sounds good.

> As always, I've got some loose ends to tidy up, but there should be
> enough functionality there to be useful. If you run into bugs
> and/or limitations, let me know. Patches are always welcome,
> of course!

Ok, I'll test sdf-2.000b11b.tar.gz now and give feedback.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com