httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: keep-alive and vary in 304 responses
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2019 09:51:33 GMT

> Am 10.04.2019 um 09:24 schrieb Mario Brandt <jblond@gmail.com>:
>
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 12:31, Stefan Eissing
> <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>>
>> I just did some tests with https://redbot.org/ (the site tester by Mark Nottingham)
against our server and it notifies of 2 things:

>> 1. The "Keep-Alive" header is deprecated. I tried to "Header unset Keep-Alive" but
that has no effect. Seems to be added very late.
>>   Do we have a way to suppress it?
>
> That is true for HTTP/2. What about the clients that don't support
> HTTP/2 yet? I wonder if it is possible to suppress that header only if
> HTTP2 or better is used.

Our HTTP/2 implementation does indeed suppress it as it does not honor the *KeepAlive* settings
that apply to HTTP/1.1

As Apache will only generate "Keep-Alive" response headers if the client included a "Connection:
keep-alive" in its request, I now regard this as a non-issue.

Cheers, Stefan