httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: [POLL] Final status of 2.2.x branch
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2018 20:11:26 GMT

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 6:53 AM, Luca Toscano <> wrote:
>> does this mean also removing the doc pages? If so I'd be a little bit
>> concerned, there are still a lot of people using 2.2 and even not-up-to-date
>> documentation is still better than nothing. Maybe we could send an email to
>> users@ to announce this beforehand?
> We've long published 1.3 and 2.0 docs after the 2.4 launch. There's no
> reason to drop 2.2 docs from the website entirely at this time. It is
> a question whether the 2.2 docs are maintained, or simply kept
> available in final form?
> Are you seeking to keep httpd/branches/2.2.x/docs/manual/ open for
> revision? There need to be three project members willing to maintain
> and review each others changes, or it is now time to simply close the
> branch to most edits.

I've been away for a bit, so I probably lack context here.

We didn't close the 1.3 docs to edit until ... well, they can still be
edited, although it's been years since anyone has.

We should keep the 2.2 docs online, for sure. Making them continue to be
updated is fine - they still have typos and broken links in them that
need to be fixed.

The 1.3 and 2.0 docs died due to lack of interest, not due to policy.
And, at some point (like after the 2.6 release, for example) we'll want
to go back and add some rel canonical stuff in the headers to point to
the newest version.

I'm just saying that I think it's fine to let them die a natural death,
rather than killing them by policy.

View raw message