httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <>
Subject Re: [Patch] proof of concept - teaching hooks to yield where sensible
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:26:30 GMT

> Am 19.02.2018 um 11:24 schrieb Graham Leggett <>:
> On 19 Feb 2018, at 11:14 AM, Stefan Eissing <> wrote:
>> If I understand your gist correctly, this would allow HTTP/2 processing to return
to the main (async) event loop more often. Which would be great.
>> In the case of HTTP/2, it would be even more cool, to trigger the (re-)processing
of an AGAIN connection from another thread. The use
>> case is: H2 main look started request, awaits response HEADERS/DATA *or* incoming
data from client.
>> now: timed wait on a condition with read checks on the main connection at dynamic
>> then: return AGAIN (READ mode) to event look, new HEADERS/DATA from request triggers
> This is the problem I want to solve - I want to be able to run multiple connections,
and allow them to yield to each other.
> I want to give our hooks the option to bite off and process data in chunks they’re
in control of. Right now, you call the handler hook and it’s a one shot deal - the handler
must finish whatever it wants to do, and only return once done.
> Yes, in most cases our handlers generate data and pass them to the filter chain, which
then handles the async data flow, but it would be nice if they weren’t forced to do that.

View raw message