httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Perkins <jacob.perk...@cpanel.net>
Subject Re: Piped logging, graceful restart, broken pipe
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2017 16:55:34 GMT
Our clients / customers have been hitting this issue as well.

—
Jacob Perkins
Product Owner
cPanel Inc.

jacob.perkins@cpanel.net <mailto:jacob.perkins@cpanel.net>
Office:  713-529-0800 x 4046
Cell:  713-560-8655

> On Aug 17, 2017, at 2:09 AM, Ewald Dieterich <ewald@mailbox.org> wrote:
>
> I configured CustomLog with a pipe:
>
> CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache2" combined
>
> Now I start downloading a large file. During this download I gracefully restart Apache.
The download continues of course. But when the download is finished I don't get an entry in
the access log, instead I get this message in the error log:

> (32)Broken pipe: [...] AH00646: Error writing to |/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache2
>
> It looks like the graceful restart doesn't account for the /usr/bin/logger process still
being required until the last worker finished. I.e. the graceful restart kills the running
/usr/bin/logger immediately and starts a new one.