httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ewald Dieterich <ew...@mailbox.org>
Subject Piped logging, graceful restart, broken pipe
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2017 07:09:19 GMT
I configured CustomLog with a pipe:

CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache2" combined

Now I start downloading a large file. During this download I gracefully
restart Apache. The download continues of course. But when the download
is finished I don't get an entry in the access log, instead I get this
message in the error log:

(32)Broken pipe: [...] AH00646: Error writing to |/usr/bin/logger -p
local1.info -t apache2

It looks like the graceful restart doesn't account for the
/usr/bin/logger process still being required until the last worker
finished. I.e. the graceful restart kills the running /usr/bin/logger
immediately and starts a new one.

Is this something that can be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong here?