httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: 2.4.27
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2017 16:22:35 GMT

can read most of it here: https://github.com/icing/mod_h2/issues/142

> tl;dr
>
> I had several reports in the past of people being disappointed about h2 performance,
only to learn they were on prefork. Which means every request is processed serially (with
static files being an exception, as long as no filters prevent this).

> In 2.4.26 I changed the (undocumented) default from 1 to 4 h2 workers, which brought
us to the issue I linked. The easy fix is 'H2MaxWorkers 1' in the config and you have the
pre-2.4.26 behaviour.

> Regardless of the discussion if the change in 2.4.26 was reasonable or not: it is not
possible to map the prefork single-thread requirement on to HTTP/2. Not going to work. One
long running request, one websocket opened, and your browser will stall.

> This is not a bug, it is the collision of the processing models.
>
> So, I think disabling it prevent user from shooting themselves in the foot. If you are
on prefork, you'd want the 6 parallel HTTP/1.1 connections, not h2.

> Does this make sense?

+1 from me...