httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: mod_md
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:14:51 GMT

> Am 23.07.2017 um 18:02 schrieb Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>:
>

> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 07:00 Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> the alpha version for Let's Encrypt (ACME) support for httpd can be found here: https://github.com/icing/mod_md
>
> I'd like to get early feedback and stabilize a tad more before bringing this into Apache
trunk. It also contains a small patch for mod_ssl which people should get comfortable about.
Or not. Maybe there is a better approach.

> Anyways, looking forward to feedback.
>
> Stefan, I look forward to using this mod.  I hope it can be incorporated into a release
soon.

Thanks!

> Have you thought about incorporating the cert update method through a cooperating DNS
server (can't think of the tecnical name)?

DNS challenges will not be part of the initial release. AFIK, they become really relevant
for wildcard certificates that Let's Encrypt has announced for early 2018. But that will also
only be offered via the ACMEv2 protocol (the one standardized in the IETF). So, this is all
scope for a future version, not the first production ready mod_md this summer.

Btw. Let's Encrypt has agreed that it needs to support the current ACME protocol for some
time into the future, as I talked with them about timelines of Apache releases and *NIX distributions,
esp. LTS versions.

Cheers,

Stefan