httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_fcgi and flush
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2017 01:14:37 GMT
On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 14:08 -0400, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:
> One of the comments on the documentation page of mod_proxy_fcgi
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_fcgi.html) mentions an
> issue with flush:
>
> There is just no flush support it seems. I attempt to use PHP flush()
> and it won't work until you fill up a buffer first, rendering Server
> Sent Events impossible with proxy_fcgi.

Do we have any idea what (if anything) proxy_fcgi receives from a
PHP flush()?  Your fix could be as simple as propagating an event.

> > In a perfect world, I'm right there with you, but we've seen (as long as
> > technology has existed) that people twist the way how technology is
> > applied and used. It's hard to convince those people otherwise,
> > especially when most of the time it has been possible to get it to work

That takes me back ...
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/everything_over_http/

> > > It probably makes sense to work on a nonblocking architecture for
> > > proxied responses in general.

Is that really the issue in the first place?  We have a concept of
flushing, and can implement more finely-tuned throughput than merely
blocking vs non-blocking.  The point at issue is for PHP to communicate
a flush with proxy_fcgi, and for proxy_fcgi then to honour it.
It seems one or both of those things isn't happening.

> > I'm not familiar with that particular code, but would be interested in
> > looking into it. Does anybody volunteer as a mentor?

Best mentor is this list.  Or #httpd-dev on Freenode (IRC),
if someone's paying attention there.

> lookup https://sks-keyservers.net/i for KeyID 0xC11F128D

Please update that: it's too easy to spoof.
See https://evil32.com/ , or my blog article at
https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/pretty-good-phishing/

--
Nick Kew