httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <>
Subject Re: 2.4.27
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2017 17:28:53 GMT
On 07/06/2017 10:09 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> with removing mpm_prefork support for H2 you kill HTTP2 support for a
> lot of production setups which may consider switch to H2 in the future
> and for sure not rework there whole configuration but put a proxy like
> Trafficserver in front and forget about httpd at this point at all

I think the fallout is more nuanced than that. The mod_http2
architecture currently cannot be mixed with prefork; it can lead to
deadlock, and that's not okay for production systems in any way.

Administrators using prefork who would like to switch to HTTP/2 in the
future need to understand the limitations of the prefork architecture
they have selected. And sure, our users can request that we implement a
solution that "just works" with prefork, with the parent dispatcher that
Stefan has mentioned, and we can weigh the cost/benefit of implementing
it. But IMO it's not that onerous to ask our users to upgrade to a
modern MPM if they want a nice new protocol.

There are costs to making new things work with old machinery, and they
affect you (the users) in real ways, even if you do not see them yourself.

View raw message