httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: SSL Policy Definitions
Date Wed, 03 May 2017 12:25:01 GMT

> On 3 May 2017, at 14:09, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>
> On 03 May 2017, at 2:01 PM, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>
>> We seem to all agree that a definition in code alone will not be good enough. People
need to be able to see what is actually in effect.

> I think we’re overthinking this.
>
> We only need to document the settings that SSLSecurityLevel has clearly in our docs,
and make sure that "httpd -L” prints out the exact details so no user need ever get confused.

>> If we let users define their own classes, it could look like this:
>
> Immediately we’ve jumped into functionality that is beyond Mr/Mrs Normal.

Agreed. If our default is simply ‘industry best practice’ (i.e. what we say it is*) —
then Normal will be the new black.

And everyone else is still in the same boat - i.e. having to specify it just like they do
today.

All that requires it to make the defaults sane.

Dw.

*: exceed NIST and https://www.keylength.com/ <https://www.keylength.com/> for 5+ years,
PFS, A or better at SSLLabs. https://github.com/ssllabs/research/wiki/SSL-and-TLS-Deployment-Best-Practices
<https://github.com/ssllabs/research/wiki/SSL-and-TLS-Deployment-Best-Practices>