httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: Ideas from ApacheCon
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 16:04:28 GMT

> Am 23.05.2017 um 17:44 schrieb Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com>:
>
> On 05/18/2017 10:46 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Based on feedback from various sessions:
>
> Thanks for the list, Jim!
>
>>   o Warn if the trailing '/'s don't match in ProxyPass/Reverse
>>     directives (eg: ProxyPass /foo http://www.example.com/foo/ )
>
> This one is easy enough to put into the directives themselves, but I'd like to expand
on the idea in general.

> What would you all think about a linter for httpd config files? Something that can be
updated independently of httpd releases with a ruleset, and that can target multiple versions
of the server at once so that everyone gets the benefits without having to upgrade. Ideally
the output would be standardized to the point that IDEs could dynamically run the linter as
you typed.

> I started playing with this idea last year but got pulled into security and testing,
so I haven't taken a look at my (Python-and-Atom-based) project in a while. This trailing-slash
warning was in my notes, as were things like

> - Unused/unnecessary <IfDefine>/<IfModule>
> - VirtualHosts declared with hostnames instead of IP
> - Location blocks in the wrong order
> - Duplicate Listen directives
>
> etc.
>
> Short term, this helps automate spreading the wisdom that we have to impart over and
over again on the support channels. In the long term, linter rulesets document what's difficult
about the configuration language so we can potentially design a better one in the future.

> --Jacob

While speaking of ProxyPass/Reverse: the reverse mapping, applied to headers such as "Location"
is currently not supporting the "Link" header - last I looked. I added support for that in
mod_proxy_http2, to get PUSHes from the backend working, but this is valid for other proxy
modules as well.

If someone on this list feels like it, I would imagine it a nice little exercise to lift the
code into the general mod_proxy handling.

Cheers,

Stefan