httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: The drive for 2.4.26
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:39:16 GMT
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Let's shoot for a 2.4.26 within the next handful of
> weeks.

++1 - my only question is whether we can get an apr[-util] release in the
next week or two ahead of our release, to encourage users to update their
entire stack?

> There are some entries in STATUS that could
> use some love and attention, and I'm hoping/pushing
> for a Brotli[1] release so we can fold *that* capability
> in as well.
>
> 1. https://github.com/google/brotli
>    https://github.com/google/brotli/issues/483

+1. The docs are still lacking, I'm hoping to add some caveats about never
using the module dynamically unless fronted with a content cache. It seems
like we might need an entire docs page dedicated to content encoding to
keep folks from doing things like enabling this module (except for significantly
large generated content), but dynamically routing requests to corresponding
.br or .gz content files as the client advertises. The current
copy-paste silliness
for static content misses interop between brotli and gzip, disabling compression
to half of all clients. Given this limited issue and ~1 week - this
seems fixable.

With luck we can fix remoteip PROXY support to do what the spec says, as
well.